It's digital, but it has an analog tuning knob and all sort of controls to optimize listening such as wide/narrow filters, multipath filter, stereo blend, etc., and all these settings can be programmed separately for each preset. Our contributor Scott needed a more sensitive tuner than his Naim NAT 05, so he bought an XDR-F1HD from our panelist Eric. Our contributor Charles says that his ST-5000FW has a beautiful sound, and that "in the next room, it really seems like you have musicians in your house." This amount of separation still yields a surprisingly good stereo image, with the instruments positioned closer to center but not in any way smeared. Operation of the tuner's Active Selection Mode (ASM) is described as follows in the owner's manual: "Press ASM. 1) The only option that would not involve modifications to the tuner itself is to build your own adapter cable. I thought this was a cute trick, but I couldn't hear anything leaking into the audio with the clock on or off. Sony ST-J75 (1981, $450, photo, service manual, Audio review) search eBay Sony XDR-F1HD (2008, $100, photo, service manual) search eBay I have usually found T.C. Our contributor Brian Beezley offers this review: "The ST-S444ESX is part of Sony's high-end ES audio component line. The word 'tracing' reminds me of the 'ARTS' (Active Real-time Tracing System) in the Pioneer F-91. According to our contributor Joseph, the ST-S7 was part of a set of components called "Scenario 7" that Sony introduced circa 1991. Our panelist JohnC has been modding: "I've finished up an ST-J60 after the pleasant results I got from the J55. An operations manual is needed for old users like RFM. Memory is maintained by a 0.039 Farad capacitor. Beware of one critical adjustment: Variable inductor IFT101 tunes the off-channel detector that is used with the automatic scan. But our contributor PZ says, "I had two good ones. IMHO, though, at $400.00 in 1991 it was a bit overpriced. It also has a full bottom plate which when removed gives clear access to the entire board. However, I do routinely use the Sony for listening to tough signals adjacent to any of the local stations." Discrete transistors provide the IF gain. Two ST-S7s sold for $51 and $232 on eBay in 5/07, and one went for $11 in 2/11. Unlike the 444, the 730 does not have audiophile capacitors scattered throughout. In our system, the ST-S333ESXII is actually a better tuner than our ST-S730ES - the ST-S333ESXII is a really close second to the Macs in sound quality, and just as good as the McIntosh MX 117 and Hitachi FT-5500MKII for DXing. Some folks called the Sony tuner's great DXing ability a fluke, but it seems to me that high sensitivity was the plan all along. The RF section is a black box! The 555ES uses high-grade audio caps (Elna and Nichicon) and 1% metal film resistors in the output section. Our contributor doug s. chimes in: "I have a lot of sub-$500 tunas that sound better than the XDR-F1HD, unless you are talking about marginal signal-strength stations. It operates when the tuner is in wide mode and receives a strong enough station, and its effect is much lower distortion. What's even more interesting is that the performance specs in this manual for this dual-labeled tuner are slightly better than the specs for our American market ST-S730ES. It has wide/narrow IF selectivity and a number of bells and whistles. The only one I found was a large Nichicon cap in the power supply amusingly marked 'Great Supply.' Unlike the 444, the 730 does not have audiophile capacitors scattered throughout. The front panel claims a 'radial power supply' feature. I think the RF front end may be on par with some of the better designs *ever done* out there. I really miss a dB strength meter on the Sony. "The multiplex filter drops the output level 1.5 dB at 1 kHz. The ST-S555ES usually sells for $40-80 on eBay when an output adapter cable is included or when the seller has failed to disclose that the outputs are not standard RCA jacks. I'm not into fancy capacitors, but for those who are, there are 10 Nichicon Muse capacitors scattered throughout the detector, audio, and power supply circuits. Memory is maintained by a 0.039 Farad capacitor. Our contributor Nick tells us how the XDR-F1HD fares in the UK, where stations can be heard 100 kHz away from strong locals: "It is a HOT DX machine! There's a whole page on the ST-S333ESG and some of its relatives here. Our contributor Dan says: "The ST-J55 has 4 gangs [actually the varactor equivalent - Editor] and 4 filters, with 3 IF amp sections. The use of ICs (even the power supply regulators are in a 7-pin IC) allows for a compact circuit board and thus another 'empty box' tuner. This filter setup was quite common in tuners of this vintage. The SST circuit, which modulates the front-end varactor tuning voltage with audio, can be set to one of four activity levels. I also purchased other tuners with great performance from the reviews on TIC, the Pioneer TX- 7800 and the Sony ST-5000F, great tuners in their own right, both very reasonably priced, but without the 'black,' absolutely noiseless background that the J-75 has." The two wide IF filters were low-group-delay 220 kHz MX2s and the narrows were 230s. Also, IMHO, the XDR-F1HD's soft-mute errs significantly too far on the side of HF rolloff for the sake of noise reduction as a function of low signal strength. They both use the following: 4 gang equivalent varactor front end, dual-bandwidth IF with 2 GDTs in Wide with 2 additional filters in Narrow (4 total), LA1235 IF amp, PLL detector, buffered composite, into a CXA1064S (LA3450) MPX IC and finally a buffered audio output. The audio output is nonstandard - the tuner emits audio current instead of voltage on a special connector. Our contributor Chuck speculates on the marketing strategy behind the XDR-F1HD's design: "The RF section of the tuner is extremely sensitive, allowing it to pull in many more stations with only a poor antenna, so you have the illusion that you have the same selection of channels on FM that you have now on satellite. In each case the Pioneer could equal or better the Sony's reception but only after very careful tuning and tweaking. I did a private review of this tuner for Sony before they released it and told them about it. On the back panel are fixed and variable RCA outputs, jacks for an oscilloscope and an AC convenience outlet. It is an attractive piece with reasonable construction quality, good selectivity, good sensitivity, and very good ergonomics." Wide IF contains 3 250 kHz ceramic filters with Narrow adding one 150 kHz CF. And for weaker signals, the de-emphasis errors are a show-stopper to me. Scott reports: "The Sony is simply an outstanding tuner (all comments on analog FM only). I can't listen to it for too long, though, on my reference system. After that is a switchable stereo noise filter, pilot notch filters and muting. This is too large to avoid adjacent-channel interference by tuning off-channel, and it requires four button pushes to reach the next channel, making manual station scanning a real chore. Two ST-S7s sold for $51 and $232 on eBay in 5/07, and one went for $11 in 2/11. Tuner Reviews D-G Bob compared the ST-S730ES to a Yamaha TX-1000 and says, "They are both pretty good stock. As-is, the tuner's low-noise on weak signals is partly 'fake' SNR by my criteria because it's accomplished by severely rolling-off the upper mids and highs." My present guess is 4 RF gangs and 2 local oscillator gangs. ); once tuned in to a station, parts of the circuit are shut down automatically to reduce digital noise in the circuits and audio path; it's possible to also shut down the display to reduce digital noise; support for Sony remote control (Sony RM-J300) but it's not absolutely required. After that is a switchable stereo noise filter, pilot notch filters and muting. Will report back with the results." "The multiplex filter drops the output level 1.5 dB at 1 kHz. A look at the schematic does not solve the first question, i.e., gang count. projects. And a technical note from our panelist Bob: "One other thing on the 730ES: the front panel MPX switch. I couldn't hear any difference on stations I tested with headphones. 1) The only option that would not involve modifications to the tuner itself is to build your own adapter cable. Sony ST-S444ESX search eBay The RF sections look identical among the three (4 gangs plus attenuator). I did a private review of this tuner for Sony before they released it and told them about it. Even for strong signals, the XDR-F1HD's de-emphasis errors are too great for my ears. After close reading of both service manuals [ST-S770ES service manual] and the common user manual (yes, the same user manual for both), I spotted a few differences. My present guess is 4 RF gangs and 2 local oscillator gangs. If you don't want to use the ASM function, turn it off by pressing ASM again." It just arrived today, so consider this a very preliminary view. If misadjusted, even by a small amount, strong low-frequency signals will momentarily mute the audio. Also, IMHO, the XDR-F1HD's soft-mute errs significantly too far on the side of HF rolloff for the sake of noise reduction as a function of low signal strength. He also finds the overall performance and sound of his aligned ST-J75 to be about as good as it gets. It seems to go deep enough but there's no weight to it, if that makes sense. The two wide IF filters were low-group-delay 220 kHz MX2s and the narrows were 230s. But it's fine for background listening, and its quieting ability with marginal signals makes it a great DXer. The AM section seems only fair. The IF uses 'Wave Optimizer' technology, which compensates for IF group-delay distortion. It is on my list of super tuners." No wonder there is no way to defeat the IBOC detector or the adaptive noise reduction. Audio section: With the modifications, I measured mono sensitivity as 20.5 dBf in wide and 21.4 dBf in narrow, and stereo sensitivity as 39 dBf in wide and 39.9 dBf in narrow. The signal-to-noise spec is 96 dB in mono and 91 dB in stereo. And for weaker signals, the de-emphasis errors are a show-stopper to me. I found this useful for all kinds of circuit exploration. The noise reduction is quite noticeable and useful. The problem was that they totally ignored one of the foundational necessities of FM design and that is temperature compensation for all the tuned circuits. But, stock, the ST-SA50ES is a good getter and a fine sounder. Our contributor Al said, "I assume that the CdS RF attenuator is a photo cell and if that is right, this is the first I'm learning of its use in the RF. In my experience, price generally does not reflect the tuner's functional quality as much as the cosmetics." To make matters worse, the Sony tuner seemed to have a very soft limiting curve. It is an attractive piece with reasonable construction quality, good selectivity, good sensitivity, and very good ergonomics." The cap is optional if the input to your preamp/amp/receiver is AC coupled (most are). The ST-S555ES usually sells for $40-80 on eBay when an output adapter cable is included or when the seller has failed to disclose that the outputs are not standard RCA jacks. Our panelist Ray offers this review: "The ST-S550ES is actually a pretty basic tuner but with a few extra features. The RF section is a black box! The front end benefits from 2 B+ inputs, one for the tuning varactors and a separate rail for the oscillator. Clip one lead of the diode marked "50/100." For the first time, I've managed to pull out some obscure daytime stations that are adjacent to weaker local ones with the Sony. One single IF path. It is an attractive piece with reasonable construction quality, good selectivity, good sensitivity, and very good ergonomics." Air Quality Monitor TVOC HCHO CO2 Air Analyzer Intelligent Digital Lcd, ANENG St170 Clamp Meter Digital Multimeter 500A AC Current AC DC Voltage Tester, ANENG 1Pack A3007 A3008 Digital Multimeter Auto Intelligent Sensor Pen Tester, Air Quality Monitor Co2 Co Pm2.5 Hcho Tvoc Home Air Quality Detector T-z01, Noise Meter Digital Sound Level 30-130db Decibel Detector Audio Tester Black, BSIDE AVD 06X Non-Contact Voltage Tester Pen Electric AC Power Detector, 1 Inch Electric Flow Meter for Diesel Oil Methanol Water blue, Electrician Electric Tester VD700 Digital Display With Led Lighting Multi-function Safety Induction Tool VD700 red (no battery), ANENG CM80 Digital Clamp Meter 4000 Counts AC/DC Voltage AC Current NCV, Dt830b Lcd Digital Voltmeter Ammeter Ohmmeter Multimeter Volt Tester Meter Black, 3 Lines Level Meter High Brightness High Accuracy Ip54 Waterproof, Stud Finder Wall Scanner Hw430 5-in-1 Stud Detector HD LCD Display Finder, Hw-200 Digital Angle Finder Torpedo Level Protractor Ltd Backlight Inclinometer, ANENG Smart Multimeter 9999 Counts Anti-burning Auto-ranging Rechargeable, ET825 Electromagnetic Field Radiation Detector Tester Emf Meter Rechargeable Handheld Counter Emission Dosimeter black, High-precision Indoor Temperature Tester With Digital Display Humidity Meter Multi-function Thermometer, ANENG 168Max Digital Lithium Battery Capacity Tester Universal Test Checkered Load Analyzer Display Check AAA AA Button Cell BGD0071, Br-9a Portable Electromagnetic Radiation Detector EMF Meter High-precision Professional Radiation Dosimeter Monitor Tester blue, FNIRSI DSO-TC2 Digital Oscilloscope Portable Handheld Lcr Meter 2-in-1, Geiger Counter Nuclear Radiation Detector X-ray Beta Gamma Detector Geiger Counter Dosimeter black, JW-360 Telephone Wire Tracker Tracer Toner Ethernet LAN Network Cable Tester Detector Line Finder As shown, 5-lines Automatic Level High Precision Self Leveling Green Beam Engineering Surveying Instrument (EU plug 220V), ANENG A3002 Digital Pen Detector Multimeter Voltage Resistance Capacitance, High Sensitivity Adjustable TX-2002 Handheld Metal Detector Long Range Diamond Archeological Gold Underground Metal Detector black, Jd-3002 Co2 / Tvoc / Hcho / Air Quality Detector With Large Lcd Display Temperature Humidity Meter carton, Bside X1 Non-contact Voltage Detector Infrared Thermometer Ncv Multimeter Electric Test Pen black, Two Pins Digital Wood Moisture Meter Humidity Tester Detector MT-02, Emf Et825 Digital Electromagnetic Field Radiation Tester Smart Sensor Sound Light Alarm Handheld Lcd Detector.
Omro Trick Or Treat 2022, Inca Bridge Aguas Calientes, Rocky Backpack Paw Patrol, Telerik Blazor Grid Layout, How Long Does Speeding Ticket Stay On Record Illinois, Postgresql Case When In List, Slope Intercept Form From A Table Calculator, Lacking Taste Vulgar Crossword Clue, Agartala To Udaipur Tripura Distance, Lynnwood Municipal Court Case Number, Burger King, Istanbul Airport Menu,