After Ive gone through each system from, sleep, miscellaneous camp items, water and filtration, clothing, kill kit and food I move onto weapons, optics, etc. This is my base list where my hunt wont be affected by severe temperatures, rain or snow. You can get a piece of clothing for every hunt you can imagine. And best of all, Moonlite is the only chair of its kind with an adjustable seating position, making it ideal for dining or reclining. Start with around 40 pounds. Sitka All Rights Reserved. Otherwise, outside of normal whitetail hunting gear, I am starting from scratch and need to maintain a relatively tight budget. We did not link to gear items, as the price and availability of the items will change. Also, this gear list is based off an area that has bears. Lets dig in! Sighting in a Black Gold sight should be easy, but for some it can be confusing. You can check out that video below. I was looking at those and the Crispi Lapponias for a CO archery elk hunt with my son. Brady-Miller-2016-Backcountry-Hunting-Gear-List-V1.xls This Excel spreadsheet breaks down every category of gear: the ounces, pounds and even price per item. Finding a 4-season tent that is "cheap" is a rarity on its own, let alone one that uses such high grade materials. But, the costs add up when you factor in the acquisition of gear and the fact that a single tank of gas turns plural and involves multiple trips to your honey hole before a tag is ever filled. Ultimately going in light and coming out heavy is the motto but can be a challenge if your pocket book doesnt allow for all the top of the line gear. For me, a backpack needs to be lightweight, but at the same time it needs to handle weight very well and be able to take a beating. Lots of backpacks might feel great with lightweight loads, but when push comes to shove, they will destroy your body when you add an entire boned out deer. Our gear needs might be slightly different, but you'll see similar patterns of necessities. Being able to accurately range their distance at an angle increases the chances of making a perfect shot. All they want is a gear list and if their pack is a little heavier, then they should just get stronger to handle the increased weight. Will I be warm enough on the cold nights? I jacked around for a couple years until I found what I needed. Hunting scenarios are always changing, from different weather conditions, different terrain, or even as simple as adding an extra day or two. Boots are another, but if the weather is going to be decent and youre not tramping up snowy mountains, you can get by with a decent pair of hiking boots & gaiters and make the big investment on boots like Schnees down the line. Here are the best options from my testing and research: Best one person hunting tent No price limit: Big Agnes Tiger Wall UL1 Crazy light, tons of space, freestanding, and a side zip door. Having to purchase duplicates of several items has me searching for good quality, budget friendly items. Not enough gear creates frustration along with an uncomfortable experience. A lot of unnecessary pack weight can comes from this section. Hopefully we can make this simple. Sounds simple enough, but in the backcountry, it can be a never-ending challenge. From the clothing to the footwear, and all the way through the optics, weapon and food list. For all general purposes, I am going to be talking about the items I need for a bowhunt. I feel my gear list is a huge helping hand for someone just starting out, or looking to change up their setup. On Thursday August 31 I did a Facebook Live video on my 2017 backcountry gear list. I also have electrical tape and Gorilla Tape on my trekking poles for emergencies or for gear repair. I'm very happy with the setup. Keep that in mind when testing out new backpacks. My current 2017 gear list that I created is what I would carry for an above timberline mule deer bowhunt in August and September. I cut this weight by switching to a Sea to Summit Ember EB I Quilt(19.06 oz. Hi, I just stumbled across this older post and found it intriguing that you have the Salomon Quest 4D GTX as one of your boots of choice. I'm going to try to keep the text down in this article, but if you want to hear more on my gear philosophies, you can check out my 2016 gear list article here. My entire bowhunting setup is listed in the table below. While many 4-season tents are actually really only used for winter camping due to their weight, the Geertop can be used all year round. The Ultimate Backpack is the perfect hunting backpack for a range of terrain and hunting conditions. We are passionate backcountry hunters that build pack systems for backcountry hunters. Positioning a Blind for Pronghorn Hunting, How to Sight in a Black Gold Adjustable Sight, Backcountry Hunting Gear List -by Justin Nelson. It should ideally weigh in somewhere between 4-7 pounds empty. It encompasses my water purification, kill kit, GPS, satellite messenger, cell phone, glassing pad and a few archery backups. Until it isn't. I generally pack for Normal weather conditions first. And when I get something down, I want to be able to carry a load out with me. Last Light Solar Charger and Rope Light 1lb. As much as we love new gear, our budgets are limited. When hunting thick timber with relatively close-range shot possibilities, a lightweight 3X-9X scope is certainly useful. On to the gear: If there's one piece of gear not to skimp on it's boots. #amazon #android #iphone #firetv #hunt #download #safari #hunting #fun #app #online #multiplayer #free Reply on Twitter 1584033188862492672 Retweet on Twitter 1584033188862492672 Like on Twitter 1584033188862492672 Twitter 1584033188862492672 As hunters and anglers get older, you often realize that the quality of your equipment is more important than quantity of gear laying around in your garage. Brady-Miller-2017-Backcountry-Hunting-Gear-List-V1.xls Just like last year, this Excel spreadsheet breaks down every category of gear: the ounces, pounds and even price per item. Please note, comments must be approved before they are published, Email:support@exomtngear.comPhone:208-995-4688, Exo Mtn Gear2796 S Victory View WayBoise, ID 83709. Pack: EXO MTN GEAR 4800 Fusion - 5lb. Tents, stoves, packs, really, anything but your skivvies & boots can be borrowed if youre a good steward. As I go through my checklist, the items I pull go directly into the pack. Without a gear list, items will either get overlooked, or you will take more than you need. When choosing your backpack, its important to test the pack with weight in it. While we do make specific gear recommendations in the Pack Essentials Series, what is most important is that we discuss how to make choices when comparing gear items such as the pros and cons of a traditional double-wall tent compared to a floorless shelter. Now its time to start sorting and planning what to take. Best for Backcountry Hunts: SITKA Dew Point SITKA Check Price Why It made the cut Sitka Dew Point rain gear checks every box needed for extended backcountry hunting trips, especially when weight and space come at a premium. I'm very proud at how my gear list charts have evolved over the years. I can cut weight in other areas so I can pack more weight in others. I like to say that I never carry extra gear or clothing that I'll not use. Our mission is to build the best mountain hunting packs available, provide the best service possible, and to do it all right here in the USA. Then just eliminate that weight from the Excel spreadsheet. Meet the new, patent-pending cow and calf call from Phelps Game Calls that uses inhale technology to produce crisp and clear sounds every time. These questions are completely normal especially if you are a new hunter. A weight that I'm happy to carry for safety. At over 7 feet long, over 5 feet wide, and 42 inches high, this tent offers more room inside than almost any other ultralight tent. As much as we love new gear, our budgets are limited. You can check out that article by clicking the button below. If you were to ask me if Im obsessed with ounce counting, I would probably say yes, but you will notice that in my list, some things I will sacrifice cutting weight to carry some items that I feel will increase my chances of success. Its amazing to look back and see what I used to hunt with and what I hunt with now. I already purchased my Exo Pack System, and I also have an inexpensive backpacking stove. GOHUNT is a registered trademark of GOHUNT, LLC. I know I could probably get rid of the GPS unit and use my phone as a GPS while utilizing various apps, but I'm still uncomfortable with the idea of using a phone as a stand alone GPS unit. You can't kill a buck unless you find a buck. I did not list a shelter as we will be sharing a Seek Outside Redcliff, which wi. How to import waypoints from other sources to GOHUNT Maps, How to easily find hunting opportunities across the West, Brady Miller's 2022 Late Season Mule Deer Gear List, 5 ways to improve your hydration on hunts, Didn't draw a tag? So why carry more weight if less will do? Thought I would do a quick rundown of my new setup for 2022. Remember, you have to start somewhere. I have modified my gear list so many times over the years (and the pile of gear I no longer use is stacking up). But beginning with the basics for my initial budget, here is what I started with Tikka T3X Lite: $715 Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44: $900 DNZ Game Reaper Scope Mount: $50 Butler Creek Mountain Sling: $20 The total for these items came in at $1,685. Elk often present themselves at steep angles, and much of the time will be up or downhill from you. Crib Load Panel - 5.5oz. Another helpful article and podcast is our budget gear list. We are currently planning on being flexible and mobile, using a combination of truck camping with the ability to backpack in, as needed. Oversized tubes, paired with forged aluminum hubs, create exceptional strength and stability. The Best (and Budget) Clothes for Backpack Hunting - Exo Mtn Gear There is no shortage of high-end, high-performance technical hunting apparel these days. Everyone has some form of a gear list, some might be chicken scratch on a notebook, others use charts on a computer, and then there is the throw everything on the floor and see what will or will not fit in a backpack method. This gear section is pretty bare bones. Several riflescopes, including Maven's new RS.2, are specifically designed for the low-profile, ultralight needs of the wilderness hunter. The benefit of having a checklist is simple, you wont be forgetting that one item that could potentially ruin your hunt. Carrying a burly load is never an exercise in comfort, but a well fit pack can really make a difference and reduce the level of hell that youll certainly go through. Electrical tape for protecting the rifle crown from being damaged and to keep rain/snow/dirt out of the barrel. This camp kit has served me very well for multiple 9-day backcountry hunts where I've faced weather from extreme heat, to rain, to hail, and finally to snow. Extended days usually just result in more food. Skills My personal gear list archives are revised periodically when I find new gear that I feel are essential for the hunt. So evaluating prior experiences and learning from others can save you a lot of hassle when it comes to selecting the right gear to take on your hunt. Regardless of the specific season or species, there's a piece of clothing for it. For 2017 this is one of the areas I made huge improvements on. Before You Build A Custom Rifle for Mountain Hunting Post-Hunt: Archery Elk in Colorado Lessons Learned, Gear Highlights, and More Boring Backpack Foods & The Importance of Variety Over Perfection, How To Fly With a Rifle (and Gear) For Your Next Hunt, Safe Packout Practices Minimize Risk & Injury with Heavy Packs. It has all the features you need, like large pockets inside and out, heat-reflective shoulder pads to protect you from cold ground, comfy hip belt pockets for easy storage, and quick release buckles for quick packing. That is sort of my checklist section. Best Sellers in Amazon Let's take a look at each component in more detail TIKKA T3X LITE Wet clothes, soggy ground, cold temperatures, high winds, and uneven sleeping surfaces can work singly or together to make you miserable, pathetic, and A well fit pack should evenly disperse the weight of the load through the torso, with most of the weight falling on the centers of your shoulders and your hips. Pack: -1.51 oz in 2017 Sleep system: -15.08 oz in 2017 Clothing packed: +6.38 oz in 2017 Clothing/gear worn: + 43.15 oz in 2017 Optics: +6.03 oz in 2017 Weapon: +10.24 oz in 2017 Gear: +1.34 oz in 2017 Cook kit: -13.95 oz in 2017 Safety gear: +11.92 Food: -20.81 oz in 2017 Water: +6.30 oz in 2017. 2. But I like to be prepared for a little more weather. In this episode, Mark and Steve discuss how they would spend $700-$800 to purchase a shelter, sleeping pad, sleeping bag, backpacking stove, water filtration system, a reliable light source, and footwear for western-style hunting. Ultralight Tent for Backcountry Elk Hunting KUIU Mountain Star 2 Capacity: 2-person Weather Resistance: 3+ season Weight: 3.0 lb Floor Dimensions: 84.5 x 54.5 x 44.5 Main Material: Silnylon KUIU makes some of the best hunting gear around, and their Mountain Star 2 tent lives up to their incredibly high standards. No matter how grueling a hunt gets, I can usually hack it as long as Im able to get a decent amount of sleep at night. Ive seen a lot of people pack 0 and even 10 sleeping bags in the backcountry for August or September hunts. In this episode, Mark and Steve discuss how they would spend $700-$800 to purchase a shelter, sleeping pad, sleeping bag, backpacking stove, water filtration . 3 min read, Be the first to know about new gear and the latest deals from S&S Archery, AccountOrder StatusAbout UsShipping and ReturnsPrivacy PolicyTerms and ConditionsExo Mountain Gear, S&S Archery2796 S Victory View WayBoise, ID 83709, Call or Text (208) 495-4222rob@sandsarchery.com, Not sure what to get your favorite hunter? It will include water, survival gear, knives, game bags and extra clothing layers. Here is a list of my budget friendly backcountry gear I use on a 7 day hunt. And water purification is super important. Or maybe you aren't new to hunting, but you are new to backpacking into the backcountry for a big game hunt. But those changes will have to be made after I save up some more money. Learn More Budget Backpacking Gear For Your Next Hunt, Mountain Goat Hunt Gear List & Lessons Learned In Alaska. Check the localities of where youre headed to see if there are specialty gear shops that will rent you high-end equipment at a fraction of what youd pay to buy. For example, if your ski measures 125-105-119, a 120 mm skin will work. Sleep System: Big Agnes AXL Insulated Pad - 12.9oz. If you are a hunter that is looking to get into backcountry, backpack-style hunting, we wanted to discuss how we would shop for backpacking gear and make budget-minded decisions. I feel people are overkill on carrying extra cold weather items. Extended days usually just result in more food. - Insider can help find your next hunt. The best Gear is like booze. This is alway why I'm an ounce counter. excel sheet Through experience, you'll find that you can eliminate certain items from your gear list, so that you aren'tcarrying more than you need. (PS We are planning on doing several 'test trips' locally this winter and spring."). For 2017 this section of my gear list is only one item long. hunting Both of these insulation layers can compress really small if needed due to the PrimaLoftsynthetic insulation, which also gives incredible warmth without a ton of weight. Do as Stephen mentioned he was going to do, and take "test trips" before your big hunt. Sometimes it's 60 degrees and sometimes it's 0 during rifle. You can read more about that here. Gear lists. 3x Stash Pockets - 1.8oz. A versatile fixed-blade capable of performing throughout any season, on any species. Besides looking for a deal, you can look for a versatile pack. Even though this gear list nails down everything I need on a hunt, weather ultimately plays a huge part in what I take. So, if I wore those, my pack weight would be almost two pounds lighter. Save this product Nemo Moonlite Reclining Chair $149.95 Take Moonlite into the backcountry and experience the feeling of weightlessness as you lean back under the stars. If youre coming out west for a hunt, there are lots of shops that specialize in renting camping gear, spotting scopes, binos, fishing gear, even bear spray. We created these resources as a field guides to all the practical questions we get asked on a daily basis. When starting my backcountry hunting gear list I always start at the pack and work from there. There's a reason the serious guys pick from about 3-4 different boots. To do this, its best to utilize a quality weather service that you trust before heading out for a week or more of backcountry hunting. Overall I'm very happy with my current backcountry hunting gear list. Reflective Tape. Reflective tape is one of those gear items that seems like . A lot of people will say that weighing out every piece of gear doesnt matter. When you are ready to dive more deeply into specific gear lists, we have plenty of those in our "What's In My Pack" video series. (Filled up to 2 Liters). I do carry a few backups, and over the years, even those are starting to get smaller and smaller. In this episode, Mark and Steve discuss how they would spend $700-$800 to purchase a shelter, sleeping pad, sleeping bag, backpacking stove, water filtration system, a . Here's the hard part: the whole unit (tripod and head) costs $569, and you can add another $100 for the tall or compact-medium models. You'll notice that my gear list is mainly focused around a mule deer hunter, but all of this can easily be adapted for elk hunters. A food list is something I probably work on the most. That buddy with the beat-up truck and a few hundred miles on his boots knows the drill. Durable & Waterproof Made of 210 T ripstop PU2500 mm polyester fabric , waterproof . The Geertop Toproad is a super affordable 4-season backcountry hunting tent with excellent quality. Lets be real, hunting season is only here for a short period of time each year. Electrical tape also works great for securing your tag to the animal, if youre hunting in a state with paper tags. If you remember last year, I mentioned completely eliminating soft shell jackets from my system. I like to keep the clothing/gear I wear pretty simple. They're going to LOVE this!S&S Archery Gift Card. This list is also based on 3-4 days of elk hunting. There are all sorts of manners and modes of hunting, but for sheer adventure, challenge, and personal fulfillment it's hard to beat the solo backcountry hunt. Mark Huelsing is the host of the Hunt Backcountry Podcast andworks at Exo Mtn Gear though he's never been able to figure out his job title. I can slightly agree with that, but each step you're taking you are carrying that weight. Being able to eliminate the softshells and use these synthetic layers with a combination of my other layers that I am already taking and still be warm and comfortable. 10oz. Episode 222: Shelter & Sleep Systems (Tents, sleeping bags, sleeping pads, etc) Only by experience will you find out what you truly want and need. Subscribe to our newsletters to receive regular emails with hand-picked content, gear recommendations, and special deals. My philosophy is I already carry a down jacket and other layers, so if I get cold I can just wear extra base layers. I could write a book about gearing-up for backpack hunts. So, at the last minute I might need to add an item to ensure I am safe on the mountain. backcountry My primary insulation piece for my this season is the SITKA Kelvin Active Jacket or the SITKA Kelvin Lite Hoody. My decision on which to run all comes down to what weather I'll be expecting. Since we don't have the space to write a book here, I want to use this article to point you to resources that will help you gear-up and make the transition to backpack hunting. Get the podcast on iPhone, Android, or Spotify.). What I have developed over the years for my gear list has worked very well. Backcountry.com rep told me it was best/lightest for under $200 Sleeping Bag - Mountain Hardware Piute 20, REI Radiant, or Marmot Sawtooth 15 Pad - Therm-a-Rest Z Lite, Big Agnes Air Core Insulated or Uninsulated Binos - <$300 - Vortex Diamondbacks or Zen-Ray ZRS HD (10x42) After several years of success and failures, Ive put together some tips that I believe can greatly increase your chance of being successful with the proper placement of your ground blind. So I didn't want to confuse anyone by having my bow weight removed from that total. I put the items in order as I might need them during the hunt. Platypus Water Bladder 3 Liter 4lb. If youre going on a September hunt and the weather is looking pretty rough, you could always add a silk sleeping bag liner. Become an insider to receive our newsletter and be the first to know about new gear and reviews. What you, specifically and uniquely, like and do not like. Below you will find the gear that Steve and Mark discussed in the show. My personal favorite are kennetrecs. Currently my full backpack weighs 45.42 lbs and my full pack at the trailhead (weapon and water added) weighs 60.89 lbs. Still, the Outdoorsman is solid, and won't chatter or move even in stiff wind. All of the items listed are what I currently have and use. Check your email for a confirmation message. Don't forget the essentials! When I'm running my ultralight sleep system and the temperatures drop, the Kelvin jacket series becomes an essential part of my sleeping system by adding a lot of warmth rating to my Sea to Summit Ember EB I Quilt. The articles, podcasts, and videos linked-to above will give you hours and hours of content to learn from. It may weigh more than a high-end pack and lack some of the features and durability, but it can still see you through many hunts. In addition to gear,Josh coverstrip planning, skills, mindset, and other areas need toconsider to become a backpack hunter. The price per item. I use the letter "p" to know that I have that item ready to place in my backpack. I also have several versions of my gear list for different hunting situations: early, mid and late seasons. I understand the balance between ultralight, safety and success. Some items I've had since day one, others have slowly been upgraded. Use this information on gear to help get you started, but don't forget to get out and use the gear! Western Mountaineering TerraLite Sleeping Bag 25F Degree 1lb. Whitetail hunting strategies for the next generation. ALL PACKS IN STOCK ORDERS SHIP IN 1-2 BUSINESS DAYS.
Journal, Ledger, Trial Balance Solved Examples, Single Phase Induction Motor Pdf, Chicken Teriyaki Calories With Rice, Middle Names That Go With Colette, Grouping In Excel Shortcut, Emergency Protocol Template, Barmbrack Recipe Mary Berry, How To Flirt With Your Girlfriend On Whatsapp,